Friday, February 20, 2009

Wiley & Wiley: No relation, sorry!

I can’t begin to tell you the number of times I have been asked, “Are you related to the Wiley’s of John Wiley & Sons Ltd?” since our new book, “The Impossible Advantage: Winning the Competitive Game by Changing the Rules,” hit the shelves at the beginning of 2009.

Since my family name is identical to that of the publishers I suppose it should not have been surprising that a connection between the two is made. Suffice it to say that to the best of my knowledge, we have no common ancestors; at least as far back as I have been able to take things, which is to the mid-18th century when my direct family relatives immigrated to the United States from Scotland.

Interestingly, this confusion also extended to the printers, who originally thought my name on the spine of the book was a mistaken repetition of the publisher’s name, and almost dropped it. My partners were alert to avoid this error, and my thanks to them!

Now of course, if someone could establish a connection between the Wiley’s of Knoxville, Tennessee; Chicago, Illinois and Milwaukee, Wisconsin with those of the publisher John Wiley & Sons, I would be more than delighted!

1 comment:

Gill@acm.org said...

My apologies. I must have been the millionth person to have asked you.